If I have seen you in the past few days, you’ve probably heard me lament how much I am over winter and ready for spring. But the other day, I wasn’t expecting snow when a brief and light dusting caused me to pause. I happened to be driving when those large flakes hit my windshield, you know the ones in which you can see the intricacies and details of the shapes of the snowflakes. It made me smile and as I considered their uniqueness and beauty, I temporarily forgot how cold it was outside. I recalled something I had heard as a child: no two snowflakes are alike. In my google attempts to verify this as fact, however, I was inundated with the new slang definitions of snowflake – an insult actually – and some even broadening the insult to a whole generation. How terrible. To take something beautiful and unique and turn it to something negative. While it is accurate that snowflakes can be fragile, it’s not the whole picture. By themselves, snowflakes are still beautiful and together they can be both breathtaking and a force to be reckoned with. Just think of those snowcapped mountains which artists and skiers love. Or how about the flurries turned to inches turned into feet of snow which will literally stop peoples’ daily life for a bit.
So I say, forget the slang! I will keep on believing that it is true: no two snowflakes are alike. Just like people and just like businesses. Each are unique, and they are strong when unified.
Small businesses make up over 70% of our Chamber membership. They can be combined into categories as broad as retail or as focused as mortgage services. They may have the same category, but they are all distinctive. Add in the other 30% of larger businesses and you have the full Chamber membership – all businesses important to our local economy and united with one strong Chamber voice.