Black Friday, the “official” start of the holiday shopping season, is only days away. The Chamber has kicked off this day with their holiday lights parade for 23 years!
I typically like to start my holiday shopping sooner than Thanksgiving since I find the weeks before Christmas seem to fly by. In spite of the fewer hours of daylight there seem to be more events and get togethers this time of year. Some of my favorites include cookie exchanges with my friends. But as it is typical with the best of intentions, I rarely get any holiday shopping done prior and it’s probably a good thing since the best deals haven’t yet emerged! This holiday season, take time to remember the buying power you have to continue to make our community stronger. Need more reasons to stay in town? See the Chamber’s top ten list:
- PARADE on November 24th! The Chamber’s 23rd Annual Holiday Lights parade starts at 6pm at the National Guard Armory and runs down main street ending with the lighting up of Harmon Park. This year’s theme is Winter Wonderland! Candy is always abundant, and the lighted floats are especially creative – don’t miss Santa at the end on the Fire Truck!
- Holiday Lights Drive – at Spring Lake Park between November 25th and December 31st – only $5 a car
- Send some North Dakota love to other states – Shop Williston to send unique gifts to your out of town family or friends. The Visitors Center makes gift baskets containing ND made products and many shops have their own exclusive brands.
- It’s the best time to use those Chamber Bucks!
- Small Business Saturday – November 25th – find great deals from your local small businesses.
- Classes – many stores now offer a great experience – not just shopping for things we may want or need but experiencing the products available to you and allowing fun times with friends.
- Shorter Lines/Smaller Crowds – enough said!
- Drive time (Save gas!) most stores are accessible within 15 minutes – after shopping you will still have time to eat out at our many local restaurants.
- Try things on, test things out – easier returns than online!
- Customer Service! – get to know and interact with your friends and neighbors…often allowing you to get to know the shop owners and impact what you can purchase here.
Williston is such a warm community despite the crisp winter weather that is upon us. Please remember that you have the power to preserve our prosperous, historic, and unique community. And it’s incredibly simple: Patronize local businesses.
As one local store owner put it “When you support local businesses you support a dream. You help keep quality health care professionals, law enforcement personnel, teachers, and jobs in our community. Friends don’t let friends shop online. Think local. Buy local. #shopwillistonwide”
Think local – buy local. Especially this holiday season. I bet you will be surprised at what you find!